As the holiday period approaches, you may be ready to pull out your box of Christmas ornaments and get decorating! Although you probably have basic decorating guidelines for the Christmas tree and exterior of your home mastered by now, it’s often more complicated to effectively balance a room by decorating the fireplace mantel.
To spruce up your wood-burning or gel fireplace for the holiday season, check out these cheap DIY outdoor Christmas decorations to complement your Christmas decor:
1. Start with a mirror. To make a room appear larger, placing a mirror above a fireplace mantel will do the trick. You can add seasonal decorations to a plain mirror with silk leaves or dried grass around the edges. The mirror can be used as a focal point placed directly above the mantel that all other decorations will center around.
2. Hang your stockings. It’s hard to overlook the long favored tradition of hanging stockings above the fireplace. If you’re decorating your home for a sophisticated holiday party, you may want to forgo the fun, family stockings that have seen better days.
3. Add a natural touch. One of the best ways to decorate a fireplace mantel during Christmastime is by taking inspiration from the great outdoors. You can gather acorns, pinecones, and sprigs of pine to place in a glass bowl on the fireplace or drape from the sides of the mantel. This decorating style is effortless to pull off and looks beautiful in any home, regardless of the decorating style. Even better, fresh pine works well to balance the luster of glittery ornaments and sparkling tinsel on the Christmas tree.
4. Make your own candleholders. On a cold winter’s night, there’s nothing like curling up by the fire with the one you love. You can set the scene to create a comforting ambience with several candles strategically placed on the fireplace mantel. Small votive candles are inexpensive and can be stylishly arranged in glass holders or even Mason jars for a more rustic feel to the decor. To keep candles stable, add marbles or sand to hold them in place.
5. Finish with a touch of fake snow. Even if you live in an area of the country without snowfall in the winter, you can bring winter to you with a few sprays of faux snow on your fireplace decorations. Fake snow can turn average decorations like pinecones and cedar into a beautiful winter wonderland. This clever decorating tip provides you with the perfect opportunity to bring your winter scene to life as a realistic snow globe display.
Putting the finishing touches on your fireplace mantel will get your home ready for holiday entertaining. Since holidays and roaring fires go hand-in-hand, don’t forget to pay extra attention to the often overlooked fireplace mantel to make your home feel festive and filled with cheer come Christmastime. ‘Tis the season!